Plant Buyer, CMS
Location: Painted Post
Posted on: June 13, 2021
Requisition Number: 46179
Corning is one of the world's leading innovators in materials
science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its
unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical
physics to develop products that have created new industries and
transformed people's lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a
unique combination of material and process innovation, and close
collaboration with customers to solve tough technology
The Global Supply Management (GSM) Function is recognized as a
critical function for business success. It delivers the training,
tools and opportunities needed to create innovative solutions for
the function & the corporation. GSM has leading edge, effective
processes to anticipate and exceed customer requirements.
Scope/Purpose of Position:
Provide operational leadership in the manufacture of products to
support customers of the Corning Manufacturing Support plant. In
this position you will lead the activities of production teams to
support the objectives of the plant by developing and implementing
plans to provide a safe work environment, manufacture quality
products, and maximize the efficiency and output of operations
Involved in the overall planning, implementation, and
optimization of all activities and support required for delivery of
products to customers. Primary areas include authorizing materials
acquisition, supply intelligence, supplier/manufacturing capacity
knowledge, industry knowledge and transportation cost
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Utilizes knowledge of Supply Chain concepts and principles in
all decision processes.
- Sources and purchases machinery, equipment, tools, raw
materials, packaging materials, parts, services, and/or supplies
necessary for operation of an organization.
- Coordinate schedules with customer service, suppliers,
receiving, manufacturing, and shipping to ensure customer's
requirements are met.
- Support installation of MRP system to develop purchasing plans
and production schedule to balance operational efficiency and
- Coordinate long term supply issues with Divisional
Purchasing/Planning and Product Line Management.
- Analyze and implement solutions or strategies for business
problems based on the business goals, objectives, needs, existing
systems infrastructure and input from senior personnel.
- Monitor and coordinate the execution of part number level
schedules to meet or exceed delivery targets. Analyze exceptions to
determine root causes, identify trends, and implement corrective
- Reviews proposals, negotiates prices, selects or recommends
suppliers, analyzes trends, follow up orders placed, verifies
delivery, approves payment, and maintains necessary records.
- Assists management in resolving problems concerning over
shipments, shortages and engineering changes.
- Contribute to the achievement of organizational goals through
Continuous Improvement iKaizen Program utilizing Supply Chain and
- Attend daily department production meetings and provide
information & updates
- Submit weekly & monthly reports that accurately summarize
- A minimum of a Bachelor's Degree; Technical degree
- Experience in manufacturing - operations, planning, quality,
engineering, supply chain.
- Experience as a plant or corporate buyer.
- Experience with GSM processes and systems.
- Communication skills, both written and oral
- Self-motivated and self-directed, works with minimal
supervision, able to work in team environment
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and issues effectively
- Effective leadership, organization, and planning skills, with
ability to handle changing priorities
- Experience across multiple businesses, division and/or
- SAP knowledge and experience
- Thorough understanding inventory management concepts
- Basic accounting principles
- Lean / Six Sigma
- APICS (or similar) certification
- <5% domestic & international
This position does not support immigration sponsorship.
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender,
age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity
or expression, disability, veteran status or any other legally
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided
reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or
interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to
receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact
us to request accommodation.
Nearest Major Market: Corning
Keywords: Corning, Syracuse , Plant Buyer, CMS, Other , Painted Post, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!