Registered Nurse - Procedural/Hospital Pain Management
Company: Arnot Ogden Medical Center
Posted on: June 12, 2021
The RN is a professional caregiver who assumes responsibility
and accountability for a group of patients for a designated
timeframe and provides care to these patients via therapeutic use
of self, the nursing process, the environment/instrumentation, and
other health care team members. The RN is expected to perform their
duties according to established standards of care and the core
values established by the Division of Nursing. Reports to assigned
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
STANDARDS OF CARE
Nursing Process Assessment
- Performs assessment/data collection in an ongoing and
systematic manner, focusing on physiologic, psychological and
cognitive status of patients.
- Analyzes assessment data to determine appropriate nursing
3 Identifies appropriate expected outcomes individualized to the
Formulates a goal directed plan of care, which is prioritized
and based on determined nursing diagnosis and patient outcomes.
- Identifies patient/significant other learning needs and
implements appropriate measures to meet these.
Implements care in a knowledgeable, skillful, consistent and
- Performs documentation duties on unit and in patient record,
which is timely, accurate and concise.
- Evaluates effectiveness of self, care given by all health care
team members, and contribution of systems, environment, and
instrumentation in progressing patient toward outcomes.
Quality of Care
Functions with an awareness and application of safety issues as
identified within the institution.
Performs efficiently in emergency patient situations following
established protocols, remaining calm, informing appropriate
persons, and documenting events.
Demonstrates sound knowledge base and actions in the care and
decision making for designated patient populations.
Follows all Medical Center, Division of Nursing and Unit
specific Policy and Procedures.
- Consistently incorporates hourly rounding into daily
Demonstrates an awareness of self responsibility and
accountability for own professional practices.
- Demonstrates awareness of legal issues in all aspects of
patient care and unit function and strives to manage situations in
a reduced risk manner.
Demonstrates appropriate knowledge and skills required by
- Participates actively in staff development activities for unit
and department of nursing personnel and other departments and
personnel as appropriate.
Formulates and uses effective working relationships with all
health care team members, patients, and significant others.
- Remains flexible in staffing patterns and resolution of
Demonstrates awareness and sensitivity to patient/significant
other rights, as identified within the institution.
- Decisions and actions on behalf of patients are determined in
an ethical manner.
- Remains aware of current nursing research and implements
findings in Nursing Practice as applicable.
- Functions to establish priorities of patient care based on
essential patient needs and available unit resources of time,
personnel, equipment and supplies.
- Accepts accountability for individual practice.
Caring and Compassionate Environment
- Respects and recognizes each patient as a unique individual and
provides holistic nursing care.
- Collaborates with the patient, family and other health care
providers in providing patient care.
- Demonstrates effective communication methods and skills, using
lines of authority appropriately.
Continuity of Care
- Consistently identifies appropriate care plan and delivers care
according to the plan of care.
Demonstrates leadership ability.
Demonstrates appropriate delegation of tasks and duties in the
direction and coordination of health care team members, patient
care and unit activities.
- Practices effective problem identification and resolution
skills as a method of sound decision making.
Demonstrates self directed learning and participation in
continuing education to meet own professional development. Attends
75% of all staff meetings and 100% of all mandatory
- Seeks validation of knowledge base, skill level, and decision
making as necessary and assertively seeks guidance in areas of
Participation in Decision Making
Participates in development and attainment of unit and
Department of Nursing goals, along with Medical Center strategic
plans and goals.
- Participates in unit, Division of Nursing and Medical Center
councils/committees as appropriate.
Participates in Quality Improvement initiatives and standards
- Is familiar with and demonstrates Quality in Action principles
and participates in the process as appropriate.
- Provides age-appropriate care to all patients according to
their age groups for the particular unit to which the individual is
Employee understands and demonstrates the importance of
satisfying the needs of the customer/patient by interacting with
him/her in a friendly and caring way, being attentive to the
customer's needs, both psychologically and physically, and by
taking the initiative to maintain communication with the customer
in order to provide a secure and pleasant experience with the
- It is understood that this job description lists typical duties
for the classification and is not to considered inclusive of all
duties, which may be assigned.
Current NYS nursing licensure, limited permit or eligible.
Excellent communication skills and writing ability.
Appreciable physical effort required; lifting, pulling, pushing,
and moving patients of various size, capabilities and abilities.
Some lifting, reaching, and stooping. Required to be on feet much
of the time.
Category I. Tasks that involve exposure to blood and body fluid
ADA Essential Functions
Keywords: Arnot Ogden Medical Center, Syracuse , Registered Nurse - Procedural/Hospital Pain Management, Other , Elmira, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!