System Planning Engineer II
Company: New York Power Authority
Posted on: June 13, 2021
The Systems Planning Engineer completes engineering tasks and
identifies abnormal variances in the results to ensure the reliable
and secure development of NYPA's future bulk electric transmission
systems; assists in both the assessment and integration of new
The System Planning Engineer is accountable to the New York
Power Authority (NYPA) for the successful execution of his/her
responsibilities in furtherance of NYPA's North American Electric
Reliability Corporation (NERC) Reliability Standards Compliance
program as set forth in Corporate Policies CP 10-4 and CP 2-9.
The System Planning Engineer is responsible for performing
specific tasks identified in Business Unit Policies and Procedures
that support Corporate Policies CP 10-4 and CP 2-9 and compliance
with NERC Reliability Standards. The System Planning Engineer is
identified in NYPA's NERC Reliability Standards Compliance
Responsibility Matrix established and managed pursuant to Power
Supply Business Unit procedure PS-TC-01-005-R00 Compliance
Responsibility (or its subsequent revisions).
- Understand the operational characteristics of the NYISO Bulk
Electric system and provide training to lower level staff
- Excellent understanding of the Load Flow Contingency Analysis,
Transfer Limit, and Security-Constrained Dispatch (SCD) analysis
portions of the Power Technologies, Inc. (PTI) Power System
Simulator/Electric (PSS/e) program and Power Grid Engineering &
Markets (PowerGEM) Transmission Adequacy & Reliability Assessment
- Excellent understanding of the Dynamics analysis of the PSS/e
program and independently perform system stability analyses using
the PTI PSS/e dynamics program, and accurately assess the
- Understand power flow case building using GE's Positive
Sequence Load Flow software (PSLF) and support GE's Multi Area
Production Simulation Software (MAPS) simulations.
- Independently conduct analyses of system conditions, system
disturbances and system operations in order to assess system
- Independently conduct analyses to assess the electric system
improvement programs of NYPA's customers.
- Independently review technical reports and NYISO planning
- Represent the Authority on Regional and State Transmission
Planning working groups and task forces to ensure NYPA interests
are represented and promoted. Perform, review and coordinate
- Provide Technical support to NYPA's customers including Coops
- Perform generator interconnection studies under the supervision
of senior Transmission Planning staff.
- Conduct System Impact Studies (SIS) to conform with NYISO rules
for the connection of major projects to the NYCA bulk electric
system under the supervision of senior Transmission Planning
- Prepare detailed technical reports documenting study work
conducted, problems and recommendations for internal management as
well as for external entities.
- Recognize NYISO/NPCC/NERC compliance requirements and address
compliance issues as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Education, Experience and Certifications
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering, required; Masters of
Science in Engineering desirable.
- Ability to pass EIT and work towards PE license.
- Minimum four (4) years in Planning or an associated field in
- Ability to sit for prolonged periods of time, use a keyboard
and enter data, view monitors for prolonged periods of time;
- Ability to travel by auto, train, airplane to other
destinations to attend meetings.
Military Occupational Speciality Codes
MOS - Army: 12A, 12B, 12P, 18C, 24A, 24Z, 51S
MOS - Marines: 1120, 1302, 1310, 8824, 8831, 8832, 9622, 9624,
9630, 9631, 9632, 9636
MOS - Navy: EA, MME, UT, 2166, 2167, 2170, 2180, 2181, 2740,
4210, 4270, 4280, 5761, 5904, 5913, 5917, 5925, 5927, 5960, 5961,
5970, 5980, 7273
The New York Power Authority is an Equal Opportunity
Keywords: New York Power Authority, Syracuse , System Planning Engineer II, Other , Marcy, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!