Academic Spinal Cord Injury Physician
Company: US Department of Veteran Affairs
Posted on: September 13, 2018
The position involves the day-to-day medical care of persons with SCI and disorders in both inpatient and outpatient settings, inclusive of both traumatic and non-traumatic SCI, multiple sclerosis, and ALS. It also includes the supervision of SUNY medical students, residents and fellows, as well as nurse practitioners. The Syracuse VA Medical Center is a dynamic teaching hospital that is highly regarded in the Upstate New York region and within the VA nationally. It is closely affiliated with and physically adjacent to the SUNY Upstate Medical University (UMU), where the physician will hold a position as well. Applicants must possess a current and unrestricted license in any State, must qualify for an appointment at the SUNY UMU Department of PM&R, and should have excellent diagnostic and interpersonal skills, a commitment to team building and the overall aptitude for leadership, educational development and research. A SUNY department of PM&R appointment will be conferred in accordance with academic rank commensurate with quality and length of experience. Applicants should be interested in applying leadership skills toward the development of a new ACGME accredited SCI medicine fellowship. Noncitizens may be considered, in the event that recruitment of qualified applicants with US citizenship is not achieved.Basic Requirements:
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completion of residency training, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Physical requirements outlined below.
- Must be eligible for an Academic Appointment
- Board eligible/board certified in Spinal Cord Injury Medicine
- Board eligible/board certified in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, or the area of residency training received prior to gaining board eligibility for Spinal Cord Injury Medicine Preferred Experience: Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office. Physical Requirements: Moderate Lifting (15-44 lbs); Light Carrying (under 15 lbs); Straight Pulling (up to 2 hours); Pushing (up to 2 hours); Reaching above shoulder; Use of fingers; Both hands required; Walking (up to 3 hours); Standing (up to 3 hours); Kneeling (up to 1.5 hours); Repeated bending (up to 1 hour); Ability to rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; Near vision correctable at 13" to 16"; Far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other; Hearing (aid permitted); Clear speech.None To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes (upload C.V. as resume document type):
- Resume VA Form 10-2850 - Application for Physicians, Dentists, Podiatrists, Optometrists & Chiropractors can be found at: The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50's, etc.
- Cover Letter
Keywords: US Department of Veteran Affairs, Syracuse , Academic Spinal Cord Injury Physician, Healthcare , Syracuse, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!