Registered Nurse (Lead) - Med/Surg - Days
Company: The Guthrie Clinic
Posted on: November 26, 2022
Guthrie Cortland Medical Center (GCMC) is searching for a
knowledgeable & versatile Registered Nurse (Lead) to provide
exceptional care in our Medical/Surgical Unit (Med/Surg) -at our
beautiful hospital in Cortland, NY. -
Perks of Being an RN @ Guthrie:
- $25,000 Sign-On Bonuses (full time)
- Increased RN Rates
- Large Shift Differentials for Evening & Night Shift
- Medical, and Dental Insurance effective the 1st of the month
following date of hire.
- Generous PTO Package
- Housing Allowance (living over 75 miles from GCMC)
- 403b Retirement Plan with Company Matching
- Up to $7,500 annually towards Tuition Reimbursement
- Comprehensive Orientation and Nurses Training
- Substantial Employee Referral Program
- Friendly, Supportive and Diverse Work Family
- Quiet Suburban Neighborhood
- Free On-Site Parking
- Fantastic Onsite Coffee Shop
Interested In Learning More or Have Any Questions, Connect With Us
Essential Job Functions as a Lead Include:
- Functions as a clinical nursing leader for the medical surgical
unit by assessing, diagnosing, implementing, and evaluating the
quality of patient care on the nursing units under the supervisor
of the Unit Director.
- Effectively advocates for ethical and holistic care by
partnering in care planning to promote the autonomy, dignity,
rights, values, and beliefs of those we serve. Assists with
staffing needs and attends required meetings with the leadership
team. Coordinates with the supervisor with bed placement.
- In the absence of and in collaboration with the Unit Director,
the Unit clinical Coordinator is accountable for patient care
activities, department operations and staff function. Monitors
supplies and shortages on the unit, reporting needs back to the
managers as appropriate any needs of the unit and its
- Aligns Practice with Safety and Quality: Accountable for
safety, identifies and corrects problems, and integrates evidence
and best practice into nursing care; uses data and evidence to
improve patient outcomes. Aligns patient safety, self-safety, and
environmental safety as equally important for best outcomes.
Completes auditing as assigned by the Unit Director. Reports back
findings and advocates for potential opportunity for
- In conjunction with and with guidance from all staff educators,
assist with the coordination of orientation and teaching of new
employees and ongoing in-service programs. Actively engages staff
in the unit huddles.
- Supports the Unit Director in carrying out unit goals and is
the representative of the Unit Director. Informs the Unit Director
of activities in the department, including customer service and
quality improvement issues.
- Engages in Professional Development: Engages in ongoing
professional development; practices at the top of license within
the legal parameters of the Nurse Practice Act, the ANA Code of
Ethics for Nurses, and specialty standards. Promotes a culture of
inquiry that explores, integrates, and disseminates research and
evidence-based practice. This includes active participation in
committees offered, such as Unit Practice Council meetings. Attends
required staffing meetings. Remains in good standing with all
required continuing education and annual training
- It is understood that this description is not intended to be
all-inclusive and that other duties may be assigned as necessary in
the performance of the position.
Responsible for delivery of patient care through the nursing
process of assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation.
-Directs and guides patient teaching and the activities of
ancillary personnel while maintaining standards of professional
nursing. -Understands and adheres to GCMC's Compliance Standards as
they appear in GCMC's Corporate Compliance Policy, Code of Conduct
and Conflict of Interest Policy. - Keeps abreast of all pertinent
federal, state and GCMC regulations, laws, and policies as they
presently exist and as they change or are modified.
Experience: - - - -
- Entry level-graduate per Education requirements
- Specialty Units-At least 1 year of medical-surgical nursing
preferred. -(i.e. ICU, Maternity, Psych)
- See core competencies and unit specific competencies
- Current NYS license to perform as a registered professional
- Current BLS-CPR certification required (or within first 30 days
- Specialty Unit - Maternity - Neonatal Resuscitation
Certification within 6 months of employment
- Specialty Unit -ICU- ACLS within 6 months of hire
Essential Job Functions: - -
Accordingly, employees may be asked to perform duties that are
outside the specific functions that are listed. - - - - - - - - - -
- - -
Assessment-Performs patient assessment and documents accurately in
a timely manner per nursing and department policy.
- Performs nursing admission assessment thoroughly and within
timeframe. -Documents the admission assessment accurately and
- Performs skin risk assessment accurately and reassessment per
policy and protocol.
- Performs pain assessment and reassessment per policy and
utilizes hospital approved pain scale and documents
Patient Monitoring-Monitors patient as appropriate for condition,
status and safety according to nursing department policy.
- Monitors patient's vital signs and systems per protocol and
documents on appropriate forms.
- Recognizes change in patient's condition or status and reports
to charge nurse or physician as appropriate.
- Calls CAT team for patients who meet criteria.
- Works to ensure patient safety is maintained in all aspects of
patient care, by following all policies related to National Patient
Safety Goals, etc.
- Raises concern about patient care and utilizes the Chain of
Command as needed to prevent patient harm.
Medication Administration-Performs safe administration and complete
documentation of medications, IV fluids, and blood products in
accordance with nursing policy.
- Follows medication administration policy using e-Mar, bar
coding and scanning of medications and has at least an 85% scan
- Insertion of IVs under aseptic technique and follows IV policy
by changing site, tubing and dressing and documents
- Always follows hospital policy when administering blood
- Maintains security of electronic signature with Omnicell and
accounts for all narcotics removed from automated dispensing system
through proper waste/return administration documentation. -
Patient and Family Education
- Assesses and addresses educational needs of patients and
families to include disease state, care and treatment.
- Documents educational needs.
- Distributes appropriate teaching sheets.
- Includes evaluation of learner's understanding
Safe Discharge/Discharge Planning -
- Contributes to or initiates discharge plan upon day of
admission and participates in interdisciplinary planning.
- Completes all pre-discharge checklist items.
- Always gives patient correct forms and discharge instructions
by using 2 patient identifiers.
- Provides patient a safe discharge and appropriate follow-up
information and community resources are in place.
Assist Providers-Assist providers in performing procedures and
treatments per unit, department specific and hospital policy.
- Assist physicians/providers with beside procedures and remains
competent with unit-specific procedures.
- Performs read back of critical values and telephone orders when
interacting with physicians as warranted.
- Uses SBAR when giving physicians report on change in patient
- Demonstrates knowledge and ability to use equipment safely and
- Utilizes hospital equipment per policy (i.e., guardrails for IV
pumps, alarm settings).
- Uses patient lift equipment per policy at all times.
Nursing Clinical Skills- Demonstrates the ability to perform
nursing treatments and procedures.
- Demonstrates competency, knowledge, and ability to perform
nursing treatments and procedures safely and effectively.
- Conducts Hourly Rounds on patients using 4 "P's" and documents
on appropriate forms.
- Regularly uses patient room white boards to communicate
information to patients and families. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
Emergency Preparedness-Demonstrates working knowledge and
understanding of emergency preparedness plans and operations.
- Aware of and actively participates in emergency preparedness
procedures and operations.
- Aware of and actively participates in Code Blue, Green, Pink,
Orange, White, and Silver drills and actual events.
Documentation-Completely and accurately documents patient care
activities and response in a timely manner in accordance with
department and hospital policy.
- Documents on a regular, real time basis all patient care
activities in accordance to hospital policy.
Nursing Promotion-Promotion of professional nursing to include
participation in PI/QI, Customer satisfaction, community
involvement, committee activities and nursing continuing
- Actively sits on and attends at least 1 team or committee, or
participates in unit PI activity or department team or
- Attends at least 75% of all staff meetings.
- Attends at least 1 clinical update and all mandatory in
- Participates in unit specific or hospital wide PI/QI
Infection Control-Provide safe and effective patient care in
accordance with hospital Infection Control policy and procedures.
- Wears appropriate PPE as warranted.
- Follows hand hygiene protocol.
- Follows all isolation procedures.
Utilize nursing process-Identify patient needs and problems through
assessment. -Implement nursing interventions based on nursing
diagnosis. -Develop individualized patient care plan. -Provide
appropriate discharge instructions to patient and family.
- Initiates individualized patient plan of care for all
- Edits Plan of Care on a regular basis per policy.
- Document's interventions every shift based on nursing
Assist and provide for participation in clinical learning
- Participates in learning experiences for orientees, nursing and
ancillary staff and students by serving as a preceptor.
- Participates in Nursing Grand Rounds at least quarterly by
either attending a session or assisting in preparing for unit
Provide for continuum of care-Assure safe patient hand off through
effective communication of the treatment status of each
- Participates in interdisciplinary care/discharge
- Uses SBAR for patient handoffs.
- Uses Ticket to Ride and communicates important information to
Other Duties as Assigned
Employees may be asked to perform duties that are outside the
specific functions that are listed.
Joining the Guthrie team allows you to become a part of a tradition
of excellence in health care. In all areas and at all levels of
Guthrie, you'll find staff members who have committed themselves to
serving the community.
The Guthrie Clinic is an Equal Opportunity Employer that welcomes
and encourages diversity in the workplace.
The Guthrie Clinic is a non-profit, integrated, practicing
physician-led organization in the Twin Tiers of New York and
Pennsylvania. Our multi-specialty group practice of more than 500
physicians and 302 advanced practice providers offers 47
specialties through a regional office network providing primary and
specialty care in 22 communities. Guthrie Medical Education
Programs include General Surgery, Internal Medicine, Emergency
Medicine, Family Medicine, Anesthesiology and Orthopedic Surgery
Residency, as well as Cardiovascular, Gastroenterology and
Pulmonary Critical Care Fellowship programs. Guthrie is also a
clinical campus for the Geisinger Commonwealth School of
Keywords: The Guthrie Clinic, Syracuse , Registered Nurse (Lead) - Med/Surg - Days, Healthcare , Ithaca, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!