Psychiatric Patient Care Case Manager - Behavorial Science Unit
Company: Arnot Ogden Medical Center
Posted on: September 24, 2022
Responsible for planning and monitoring patient care issues for all
assigned patients during their hospital stay. Coordinates care plan
with physicians, nursing and other involved caregivers. Assists the
Psychiatric Case Manager Coordinator in the coordination of the BSU
Case Management Team covering discharge, utilization review, case
management, and outreach functions of a comprehensive unit based
psychiatric case management system. Provides patient assessment and
monitoring comparable to Mental Health Assistant duties and
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Coordinates activities with the BSU Case Management Team and
utilization review staff to insure the operation of an efficient
psychiatric unit case management system.
2. Participates in multidisciplinary care planning for a caseload
of patients after admission. Assesses patient and family needs and
plans care with patient interviews and family interviews,
physicians, nursing team, and other health professionals.
3. Communicates and collaborates with the physicians involved in
the caseload, participating in treatment planning activities.
4. Acts as a resource to staff and case management team in planning
care and communicates care plan with patient, family, physicians,
Behavioral Science Unit and other health professionals on the
multidisciplinary treatment team.
5. Demonstrates role modeling while serving as patient and family
advocate with courteous behavior and presents professional image
through polite and respectful communications with all coworkers,
patients and visitors.
6. Facilitates implementation of care from all providers by
collaborating in a problem solving fashion, on long and short term
goals, to ensure appropriate and timely care.
7. Identifies and helps analyze variances from the care plan or
clinical path and implements strategies to resolve them immediately
when possible or over the long run working collaboratively with
clinical path teams.
8. Coordinates the planning of services with case management team,
participates in interdisciplinary discharge planning rounds,
facilitates discharge teaching, implements and documents service
plan. When appropriate, place patient on alternate level of care
9. Maintains current knowledge of community health and social
resources in order to ensure appropriate referrals.
10. Monitors appropriate of admission and continued stay.
Communicates effectively with utilization review staff and
commercial insurance carriers regarding assigned patients as
11. Performs data collection via chart review for performance
assessment and improvement activities when required.
12. Accurately copies required forms / information from patients'
medical record for discharge referrals and transfers.
a. Provides accurate information from patient's medical record to
b. Labels outgoing informational mail from case management
c. Updates Behavioral Health disposition log and assists with data
collection for database and statistical reports.
13. Ensures completeness of service plans and checks that plans
from previous admissions are present on current medical record.
14. May assist with making follow-up appointments for patients
being discharged if deemed appropriate and nurse to nurse contacts
if LPN level.
15. Revises daily patient review sheet if Administrative Secretary
is not available.
16. Assists in orienting new personnel when applicable.
17. Must be alert to unsafe practices, correct them, or report any
discrepancies in work environment.
18. Assists in maintaining department patient discharged plan
compliance monitoring system with appropriate concurrent case
management and outreach intervention.
19. Demonstrates appropriate knowledge of the aging process in
identifying needs of the adult population served including
assistance of clients in dealing with life changes; safety issues;
coping with losses, crisis intervention; compliance with medical
regimen and maintaining independence.
20. Advises patients regarding their rights and addresses issues
relative to patient rights.
21. Promotes and fosters the mission and philosophy of the Hospital
during performance of job duties and community activities.
22. Actively supports and participates in the Hospital's
Performance Improvement endeavors.
23. Performs other related duties as assigned.
24. Is responsible for attending all mandatory annual educational
programs as required by the position.
25. Employee understands and demonstrates the importance of
satisfying the needs of the customer/patient by interacting with
him/her in a friendly and caring way, being attentive to the
customer's needs, both psychologically and physically, and by
taking the initiative to maintain communication with the customer
in order to provide and secure and pleasant experience with the
26. It is understood that this lists typical duties for the
classification and is not to be c considered inclusive of all
duties that may be assigned.
1. Bachelor's degree in psychology, sociology, human services or
other related health field - OR
2. Credit toward Bachelor's degree (at the third year level in
B.S./B.A. Program and minimum one year full-time related work
3. LPN Training and License with one year experience in a
Behavioral Health setting preferred.
Prior psychiatric inpatient or outpatient experience preferred.
Training in patient crisis management and/or restraint application
preferred. Ability to accurately type and operate computer software
as well as knowledge of filing procedures.
CARDIOPULMONARY RESUSCITATION (CPR) REQUIREMENTS:
Basic Life Support (BLS) required within 90 days of hire date.
Good mental and physical health due to long periods of walking and
standing involved. Moderate amount of lifting. May be required to
assists unit personnel in restraining out of control patients
following unit protocols as needed. May perform moderately
difficult manipulative skills requiring accurate eye/hand
Empathy and sensitivity to needs of patients. Demonstrates
understanding, patience and tact in dealing with patients and
visitors. Ability to maintain good working relationships with
Hospital personnel and medical staff. Ability to function
adaptively under stress and in emergency situations. Remains
current in psychological literature related to job requirements.
Excellent verbal and written abilities in communicating and
compiling written reports. Strong organizational skills. Alertness
and skill in making observations and in reporting them. Trustworthy
in safeguarding confidential information.
This position requires total access to the medical record.
Keywords: Arnot Ogden Medical Center, Syracuse , Psychiatric Patient Care Case Manager - Behavorial Science Unit, Executive , Elmira, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!