Senior Staff Mechanical Engineer
Company: Saab Inc.
Location: East Syracuse
Posted on: March 18, 2023
Job Description:Saab's Radar Surveillance division in East
Syracuse, NY is seeking a Senior Staff Mechanical Engineer. The
engineer will be a member of the Mechanical Engineering team
responsible for the development of mechanical systems and
assemblies across various ground based and shipboard military radar
- Develop, understand and present technical concepts regarding
product design and performance.
- Interface with Systems, Electrical, Quality and Safety/Human
Factors as well as other business functions to
develop/define/implement customer requirements.
- Provide design oversight of mechanical components and
- Perform functional analysis, evaluation, and optimization of
- Responsible for directly designing and analyzing components and
- Provide technical interface and direction to key subcontractors
- Maintain size, weight, and power budgets through development
- Provide insight to manufacturing related matters.
- Perform and oversee design verification efforts.
- Contribute to cost/benefit trade-off analysis and feasibility
- Mechanical related failure analysis of hardware.
- Manage bills of material (BOM) within Saab's Enterprise Product
Data Management (EPDM) system.
- Responsible for work package labor estimates and status
- Maintain communications with program management regarding
project progress and roadblocks.
- Support product lifecycle management from concept through
- Support mentoring and engineering staff development.Skills and
Experience:Required Education, Experience and Skills:
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in mechanical design.
- Proficient in the use of industry standard mechanical
engineering design tools (SolidWorks, AutoCad, Creo, Ansys, ICEPAK,
- Significant product development background demonstrating a
strong engineering aptitude and good problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to resolve issues during design,
development and execution of mechanical engineering
- Strong interpersonal and group communication skills.
- Proficiency with MS Office software applications.
- Strong Earned Value (EV) skills, including Cost Account Manager
- Candidate must be able to work with limited/general
- Must hold or be able to obtain U.S. DoD SECRET security
- Ability to travel up to 5%, both international and
- Able to lead team of up to 5 mechanical engineers to develop
and document mechanical components and assemblies.
- Proficient at understanding and driving requirements
traceability in a model based systems engineering
environment.Desired Experience and Skills:
- Prior DoD industry experience
- Experience developing hardware for Naval and ground based radar
- Familiarity with Mil Standards, ruggedized equipment design and
environmental test requirements
- Knowledge of materials and corrosion control.
- Experience with ANSI Y14.5 Geometric Dimensioning and
- Demonstrated performance and proficiency in the elements of
Mechanical design, such as analysis and implementation of
requirements, developing design concepts, evaluating designs,
technical and design reviews.Citizenship Requirements:Must be a
U.S. citizen. Applicants selected may be subject to a government
security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for
access to classified information.Drug-Free Workplaces:Saab is a
federal government contractor and adheres to policies and programs
necessary for sustaining drug-free workplaces. As a condition of
employment, candidates will be required to pass a pre-employment
drug screen.Benefits:Saab provides an excellent working environment
offering professional growth opportunities, competitive wages,
work-life balance, business-casual atmosphere and comprehensive
- Medical, vision and dental insurance for employees and
- Paid time off including: minimum of 3 weeks vacation, 5
floating holidays, 8 designated holidays, parental leave, personal
illness, bereavement, jury duty, long-term and short-term
- 401(k) with immediate vesting on employer match
- Tuition assistance
- Student loan assistance
- Wellness account, Care.com subscription and employee assistance
- Employee stock purchase program with employer matchAbout
Us:Saab is a leading defense and security company with an enduring
mission, to help nations keep their people and society safe.
Empowered by its 18,000 talented people, Saab constantly pushes the
boundaries of technology to create a safer, more sustainable and
more equitable world. In the U.S., Saab delivers advanced
technology and systems, supporting the U.S. Armed Forces and the
Federal Aviation Administration, as well as international and
commercial partners. Headquartered in Syracuse, New York, the
company has business units and local employees in seven U.S.
locations.Saab is a company where we see diversity as an asset and
offer unlimited opportunities for advancing in your career. We are
also a company that respects each person's needs and encourage
employees to lead a balanced, rewarding life beyond work. Saab
values diversity and is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action
employer. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and
will be considered for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), sexual
orientation, gender identity, age, veteran, disability status, or
any other federal, state, or locally protected category.
Keywords: Saab Inc., Syracuse , Senior Staff Mechanical Engineer, Engineering , East Syracuse, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...