Senior EMS SCADA IT Engineer ( upstate New York )
Company: NATIONAL GRID CO USA (NE POWER)
Posted on: January 15, 2022
National Grid is hiring for a Senior EMS SCADA IT Engineer for our
CNI infrastructure support team in Liverpool, NY. Role can also be
hired in New York metro or Waltham/Northboro, Massachusetts.
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities,
and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We
connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The
pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our
expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to
shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers,
reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the
flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on
our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both
ourselves and our business.Job Purpose
This position is responsible for supporting the overall operation
of National Grid's Energy Management System (EMS). Demonstrated
experience with any of the following is desirable: Supervisory
Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems; Support includes
diagnosis of data acquisition issues, model & database updating,
and one-line display development. Support will include the
day-to-day needs of control room operating staff and other end
Need an enthusiastic individual to coordinate with control center
operations and engineering & planning to maintain and update the
- Provide day-to-day EMS support by effectively responding to the
needs of control room operating staff, field personnel, and other
end users in respect to display development, database
administration, and application support.
- Interact with the regional ISO and surrounding LCCs to
coordinating modeling and data transfer between systems.
- Maintain an operator training simulator and coordinate with
training groups to help develop training scenarios.
- Actively update and maintain the annual Load Shed and Voltage
Reduction Plans in the EMS databases.
- Actively participate in support and troubleshooting problems in
all aspects of the EMS/SCADA system, and specifically data
- Data circuit and communication issues as they related to the
real-time SE / SA.
- Protocols used by the EMS to collect data from field Remote
Terminal Units (RTUs). These protocols include DNP3.0.
- The Inter-Control Center Protocol (ICCP)
- Actively maintain and administer the National Grid EMS remote
access interfaces. These interfaces encompass the PI Historian
application and EMS Thin Client.
- Participate in on-call rotation as required to support
operations department and maintain high EMS
Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills and
- Excellent teamwork.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
It is a requirement that supporting the SCADA/EMS real-time
operation will include serving on an on-call rotation during
non-business hours. The candidate must possess excellent
interpersonal, oral and written communication skills and team work.
Position requires a Bachelor degree in Electrical Engineering or
Computer Science or other related fields from an accredited school
OR minimum 10 years of experience working in the utility
- Experience in supporting Supervisory Control and Data
Acquisition (SCADA) systems; Data Acquisition knowledge and
protocols used in SCADA/EMS systems for power system operation and
planning preferred; power system modeling and advanced application
functions on an Energy Management System is desirable but not
Other desired knowledge includes:
- Knowledge of the NERC CIP 001 - 014 Cyber Security Standards
- Electric utility market systems experience (ISO-NE and
- Working knowledge of Oracle and SQL
- Knowledge of Windows and Linux Operating Systems
- Experience with multi-processing programming
- Candidate should have a basic understanding of networking
infrastructure and protocols including Routers, Switches, Hubs,
TCP/IP, Firewalls and SNMP.
- Working knowledge of RTU functions and RTU protocols, such as
- Commitment to customer service excellence
- Excellent communication and listening skills
- Excellent teamwork
- Adheres to company policies and procedures
- Analytical thinking
- Pursues personal and professional development
- Willingness to accept accountability
- Embraces diversity
- Strong interpersonal skillsMore Information
This position has a career path which provides for advancement
opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in
the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and
applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and
provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and
their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad
diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster
a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver
superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is
proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage
minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected
veterans to join the National Grid team.
Keywords: NATIONAL GRID CO USA (NE POWER), Syracuse , Senior EMS SCADA IT Engineer ( upstate New York ), Engineering , Mallory, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!