SNAP Education Nutrition Assistant
Company: Cornell University
Posted on: November 22, 2021
The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) is a USDA
funded Nutrition Education and Obesity Prevention Program. The
SNAP-Education program is designed to assist and encourage the SNAP
recipients and persons eligible for SNAP to choose healthy diets
and active lifestyles through the provision of behaviorally-focused
nutrition education and obesity prevention activities. Nutrition
education is provided in group settings in eligible areas and sites
throughout our coverage area known as the Central Region. In
addition to direct education the program also provides Policy,
Systems, and Environmental (PSE) initiatives. PSE initiatives are a
set of comprehensive activities that address barriers that make
healthy food and physical activity choices harder for the SNAP
population to put into action. The SNAP Nutrition Assistant
provides support services such as, assisting nutrition educators
during classes and activities and assisting nutrition educators
with preparing class materials.
- Associate's Degree in Marketing, Nutrition, Human Services or
related field. High School Diploma/GED and one year transferrable
program/functional experience can substitute for Associate's
- Experience relevant to the role of the position.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Ability to meet travel requirements associated with this
- Ability to work flexible hours which may include evenings
and/or weekends, as appropriate.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs such as
PowerPoint, Publisher, Word, and Excel.
- Website and social media maintenance and analytics.
Position Responsibilities & Essential Functions
Administrative Coordination/Operation - 95%
- Perform routine data collection and entry into software system
utilized by program.
- Collect and prepare program evaluation and assessment paperwork
from community members, organizations and businesses.
- Draft standard communications for supervisor use for website,
Facebook, texting, program promotional flyers, newsletter, press
releases and other social media platforms and traditional media use
- Assist with the organization and coordination of SNAP Ed. core
program messaging activities and support the educators in their
delivery of established program goals.
- May provide input to support the implementation of mass media
efforts for the SNAP Ed. program.
- May assist with the identification and recruitment of program
participants and agencies in an effort to meet or exceed funder
targeted education and messaging goals including but not limited to
partnering and maintain contacts with community based organizations
- Assist in maintaining updated schedule of events.
- Assist in the coordination of identified administrative aspects
of the SNAP Ed. Program including, but not limited to: mailing
correspondence, maintaining files, maintaining participant records,
etc. ensuring confidentiality of all information.
- Assist in the coordination, compilation, and organization of
existing program resources and program materials.
- Perform general coordination activities including but not
limited to attending staff meetings, timely reporting of expenses,
working with other staff and general marketing of Extension
- Assist the educators in maintaining communication with
constituents and the community through a variety of methods such as
newsletters, e-mails, electronic technology, internet, social
media, website postings and content.
Professional Improvement - 5%
- In cooperation with Supervisor and/or Executive Director,
jointly develop and pursue a professional development plan as a
means to increase competencies relative to position
accountabilities and to address changes and Association
- Collaborate in activities that are in general support of
Cornell Cooperative Extension and perform other duties as
Health and Safety - Applies to all duties and functions
- Support the Association to maintain a safe working
- Be familiar with and strive to follow any applicable federal,
state, local regulations, Association health and safety
policy/procedure/requirement and standard.
- Act proactively to prevent accidents/injuries and communicate
hazards to supervisors when identified.
EEO/EPO and Policy - Applies to all duties and functions
- Appreciate and embrace diversity in all interactions with
clientele, staff, volunteers and the public.
- Assist the Cornell Cooperative Extension system in reaching out
to diverse audiences.
- Aware of, and adheres to, established Cornell Cooperative
Extension Association of Oneida County policies, procedures and
Cornell Cooperative Extension Skills for Success.
- Contribute to the overall success of the organization by
performing all assigned duties in a professional, timely and
This position is located in Oriskany, NY. This is a full-time,
non-exempt positiion, 37.5 hrs./week.
Excellent benefits, based on eligibility, including:
- Paid Vacation, Sick, & Personal time
- Paid Holidays
- NYS Health Insurance Program (including FREE Dental
- NYS Retirement (NYSERS)
- Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Voluntary Tax Deferred Annuity Plan
- Voluntary Flexible Spending Accounts
- Voluntary Group Universal Life Insurance
- Voluntary Personal Accidental Insurance
- Voluntary Legal Plan Insurance
- Voluntary Long Term Care Insurance
- Voluntary Auto and Homeowner's Insurance
- Voluntary Pet Insurance
- Voluntary New York's College Savings Program
- ClearPoint Credit Counseling Solutions
Click apply now!
Keywords: Cornell University, Syracuse , SNAP Education Nutrition Assistant, Education / Teaching , Oriskany, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!